5.06.2009

Bloomsday

Nothing will make you appreciate Spokane quite so much as the annual Bloomsday 12k race. With 50,000 participants this year, it's the largest timed road race in the world. Spokane's not that big, so you can imagine that all types of people turn out for this race in order to add up to 50,000 participants. I saw all sorts of 90s workout apparel, from scrunchies to neon leggings, as I joined the throng of people at the start line. Fat people. Thin people. Old. Young. Babies. Wheelchairs. They're all in the mix.

And, as you get started, you see the city turned out in support. Passing one of Spokane's largest Catholic churches, the priest stands outside to bless the runners and a choir sings. Further along in Brown's Addition - a mixed income neighborhood - some biker dudes, perhaps still high on drugs from the night before, are out on their porch blasting music and cheering us along. Kids hand out lemonade in their front lawn. People set up hoses to cool down runners. And, there are countless other supporters and characters along the way. I managed to snap pictures of a few of them on Sunday.


Bloomsday 2009
Getting ready to start!

Bloomsday 2009

Bloomsday 2009
It's a tradition in Spokane to wear old clothes down to the race, to stay warm, and then throw them in the trees once the race starts.

Bloomsday 2009
She's done all 33 Bloomsday races! Inspiring!

Bloomsday 2009
This is towards the beginning of the race. The sun came out!

Bloomsday 2009
The vulture. He's always on top of Doomsday Hill. Weird. But I love him.

Bloomsday 2009
The view from the top of Doomsday Hill.

Bloomsday 2009
Some characters along the way.

Bloomsday 2009
The coveted finisher's shirt!


One last thing - I picked up some cool gear at the Bloomsday trade show. Local running store Runner's Soul (love them!) had a sale on my fave shoes - Brooks Adrenaline - and gave out some super cool Brooks Bloomsday shirts. I don't have a picture, but I'll try to get one soon. The BEST thing, though, was the arm band I bought from Arm Pockets. (I can't find a Web site for them.) They're great - you can fit an iPod, phone, keys and a little snack. Or, for Bloomsday, I used it to carry my cell phone and camera. I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of this! Here's a picture of me and my mom with our Arm Pockets.


Bloomsday 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment