6.09.2009

Summer Drinking

My official beer of Summer 2009: Green Lakes Organic Ale by Deschutes Brewing Company. It's light and tasty. And, it's even organic! I can't get enough - in moderation, of course.

My (current) wine of Summer 2009: Blue Fin Pinot Noir 2008. Wine snobs would probably turn up their noses at this. But I found it light, fruity and refreshing. And, it's only $3.99 at Trader Joes. I bought two more bottles last night!

Potential mixed drink of Summer 2009: May Flowers.

Let me give you a little background. I was in DC this weekend, reading the Washington Post. And, I noticed an article on summery mixed drinks. One seemed pretty simple and caught my eye because it was garnished with edible flowers. So pretty! But, even cooler, the recipe included information on making your own flower liquer. I think I'm going to try it with lavendar.

Here's the directions for making the liquer: Soak 1 cup of food-safe flowers (such as honeysuckle, violets, roses and elderflowers) or 1/2 cup lavender petals in one 750-ml bottle of vodka or neutral-grain alcohol. Let it sit for 7 to 10 days, then strain. Add up to 1/2 cup sugar (to taste); stir until dissolved. The article mentions that you can get these flowers at Whole Foods.

And, here's the recipe for May Flowers and a link to the article.

May Flowers
Adapted from Alice Gaber, bar supervisor of Firefly restaurant in Washington DC.

Ingredients:
Ice
2 ounces gin, preferably Bluecoat American Dry gin
2 ounces Riesling
2 ounces freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
2 ounces flower liqueur, such as Creme de Violette or St-Germain elderflower liqueur (may substitute homemade lavender liqueur)
Edible flowers, for garnish


Directions:
Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice. Add the gin, wine, juice and liqueur. Cover and shake well, then divide among cocktail (martini) glasses. Garnish with petals of edible flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment