8.11.2009

Things I Like, August 2009


Mojitos - Pete and I had so many during the Record-setting Seattle Heat Wave (!!!) that we completely OD'd and have to take a break for a while. But, here's the easiest way to make them:
Muddle 2-4 t sugar, 10 mint leaves and 3-4 limes in the bottom of a glass. Add ice. Pour 2 oz. rum in the glass. Top it off with club soda.

Converse All Stars - I found a pair at Ross in Palm Springs, and started wearing them around town. And, THEY ARE AMAZING. So comfortable, and oh so retro-stylish. I kind of want to wear them all the time right now. I've started using them as my commuting shoes, since I have to walk a bit to and from bus stops.

Farro - Bluebird Grain Farms set up at farmers markets in Seattle, and they have all sorts of interesting and appealing products from flour and hot cereal, to stuff I'd never heard of like farro and wheat berries. I decided to give the farro a try. So far I have made a recipe for Farro Caprese Salad and another one with chickpeas, which I cannot find at the moment, but which was pretty close to this one. I just substituted farro for bulgur. I think I'm going to make one of these recipes again this week! (Bluebird also has a CSA that I'm tempted to join, but I just don't think I can go through that much grain each month!)

Julia Child & M.F.K. Fisher - Right now I'm reading "How to Cook a Wolf" by M.F.K. Fisher. She's pretty darn fabulous - writing about eating well during WW2 and maintaining quality in the American diet. I already tried one of her recipes, and it was very tasty. And I, like every other foodie on America, saw Julie and Julia this weekend. I also happened to catch a couple old Julia Child cooking show episodes on PBS. I have officially fallen in love with Julia Child. I may just have to get her book and try some French cooking. Eating and cooking French food has always intimidated me, but Julia was out to convert people just like me, so for her sake I think I'll give it a try. Maybe start with Beef Bourguignon?

Ryan Berkley artwork - He's kind of like a modern Beatrix Potter artist. I bought this set of squirrel prints, and I smile every time I look at them.


3 comments:

  1. Hooray! I like that I've experienced 3 out of the 5 with you (mojito, shoes, Ryan Berkley).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm craving a mojito right about now... If only we had the sun to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wondered why that fabulous restuarant on Queen Anne Ave was called How To Cook A Wolf. Have you been there? You must try it! Maybe I can borrow your book when you're done with it?

    ReplyDelete