8.01.2009

Week of Words - Saturday

This is the first poem that ever sparked for me the imaginative energy and emotion that so many poems can create. I read it in my 10th grade English class with Mrs. Lake.


By e.e. cumings

i thank You God for most this amazing
day: for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and of love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any--lifted from t he no
of all nothing--human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)


Have a great day on this lovely Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. I first read this when a college friend gave me a book of ee cummings' poetry. It comes to mind nearly every beautiful day of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love e.e. cummings - one of our readings for our wedding was "i carry your heart with me"

    ReplyDelete