1.12.2010

A Hero

Listening to NPR this morning, I was inspired by the story about Miep Gies who hid Anne Frank's family for two years and died today at the age of 100. She was also the one who saved Anne's diary and gave it to her father when he was released from the death camps. You can read and listen to the entire story here. But I was especially touched by what she said about being considered a hero:

"I don't want to be considered a hero," she said in 1997.

"Imagine young people would grow up with the feeling that you have to be a hero to do your human duty. I am afraid nobody would ever help other people, because who is a hero? I was not. I was just an ordinary housewife and secretary."

We're all ordinary people with a human duty to do good. Thanks for reminding us of this, Miep Gies.

1 comment:

  1. This was an inspiring piece -- thanks for lifting it up!

    ReplyDelete