2.28.2009

Depressed?

I've made a few exciting discoveries on the subject of surviving and making the best of these depressing economic times, and focusing on getting back to basics and making the most of what you already have.

First of all, there's Depression Cooking with Clara. She is AWESOME! She's a 93-year-old Sicilian woman from Chicago, and she has a YouTube Channel, a Web site and a blog. I hope I'm making YouTube videos and blogging when I'm her age! (Although, those things will probably be old-fashioned and outdated by that time.) She mixes in cooking lessons with memories of the depression and her childhood.I haven't watched all her videos, but I'm working on it. Here's episode one:




I'm also addicted to the Pioneer Woman's Web site. She's basically living my dream life (although I wouldn't want to live in Kansas - I think I'd take WA, OR, WY or MT). I can't move out to a ranch right now, but I did at least make her beans and corn bread. They were really good. So, I guess that's the closest I'll come to the open range and herding cattle right now. And, right now she's been posting a lot of pictures of puppies!

All this reminded me of "How To Cook a Wolf" by MFK Fischer, and a story I heard on NPR a while ago. She wrote about about how to make fresh, creative food during the time of World War II rations. I need to check out her book! She sound very forward and feisty.

This last link doesn't actually have as much to do with the others, but I just happened upon anti-factory. They make cool, unique, beautiful pieces from vintage and recycled clothes. I love it! And, of course, now I really want one.

No comments:

Post a Comment