2.19.2009

Things I Made . . . For Christmas

This post may be past its expiration date, but I want to show off what I made! I decided to do all handmade gifts for my family this year, and I think they turned out really well. (Luckily, I had a lot of time to finish them when I was snowed in for a week.)




I adapted the "kittyville hat" pattern from the Stitch n' Bitch book. I used the a light, thin, soft 100% wool (maybe merino?) yarn. I made them in Washington State University colors for my sister (who goes to school there) and my mom (who went to graduate school there). For my mom's, I stitched a flower pattern. I just kind of made it up, so I'm sure there's a better way to do this. And, for my sister's I ordered some vintage maroon buttons from Etsy. She picked the one that ended up on her hat.

They fit perfect, and they're thin but warm. I really like them. Maybe I'll make one for myself . . .



My other sister is living in chilly Austria this year, so I decided to make her a scarf. Scarves take FOREVER to make, so I usually use thick yarn or double up on the yarn so that I can actually finish them before I die. I used a thick cream yarn that's part synthetic and part wool, along with a pretty blue yarn that was kind of like synthetic mohair.

I thought it was pretty but wanted to add a little flair (specifically a little pink, since she loves pink). So, I came up with the idea for the buttons. I had a lot of trouble figuring out the buttons holes. I endedup created a hole use Yarn Over, because it was the easiest solution I could think of, but I'm sure there are other ways too.

I love it! I think it's my favorite thing I've ever knit. I, of course, had to try it on before I handed it off.


I think I mentioned that I'm knitting a baby blanket - it's the "big bad baby blanket" from Stitch n' Bitch. I'll let you know how it's going.

1 comment:

  1. so crafty! you did great! you should be proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete