11.02.2009

How do I know it's fall?

1.) This is what I bought at the farmer's market this weekend:
  • Squash (2 kinds!)
  • Kale
  • Beets
  • Apples
  • Pears
2.) I had to bundle up and use both my front
and rear lights on my bike ride to work this morning.

3.) I went to a chili cook-off last week.

4.) I carved pumpkins with friends.
Welcome fall!

Oh, by the way, I had the most amazing kale salad at a Locavore Potluck at church (most of the food was grown locally). And, since I'm currently on sugar overload, I'm going to go heavy on the vegetables and light on the sugar this week. Here's the recipe - the trick is "massaging" the kale!

Massaged Kale & Currant Salad

By Jennifer Adler M.S., C.N.

Makes 6 servings.
• 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed, cut into bite sized pieces
• 1 teaspoon coarse salt
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 cup diced red onion
• 1/3 cup currants
• 1 cup diced apple (1/2 apple)
• 1/3 cup sunflower seeds, toasted (I used roasted seeds)
• 1/3 cup gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

Put kale in a large mixing bowl. Add salt, massage salt into kale for 2-3 minutes.
Gently stir in remaining ingredients except for cheese.Taste salt and vinegar. When at desired flavor gently stir in cheese.

Oh, and one more sign that it's fall - costumes!


No comments:

Post a Comment