7.23.2010

Fun Stuff for Friday

Happy Friday everyone! I'm headed up to a cabin outside Bellingham with friends this weekend, and can't wait for the festivities to begin!

I've made some delightful and interesting discoveries lately, and thought I'd share.

Books - I'm not into the Twilight books (actually, I think they're terrible - don't hurt me for saying this!), but I do really enjoy the whole vampire trend. It's kind of fun and scary and campy. I watched True Blood for a while, but it got a little too creepy and I'm a little too much of a scaredy-cat. But, I have recently breezed through the first two books from the young adult Blue Bloods series. So fun! It's about hot young socialites in New York that happen to be - you guessed it - VAMPIRES!

Food - I'm loving Morningstar Farms Veggie Sausage Patties. Pete's family brought them to the lake, and I think I like them better than actual breakfast meat. You can get them at Trader Joes.

Shopping and clothes - I did a huge purge of clothing and shoes last week. I just felt overwhelmed with the amount of STUFF in my closet and drawers, and wanted to pare it down to the items I really love and wear often. It felt so good to drop everything off at Goodwill. Of course, I then promptly hit the the Nordstrom sale. I don't feel too bad about it, since I usually get a lot of wear out of the few items I buy at Anniversary Sale. But, overall I've been realizing that my urge to shop is a little stronger than I'd like. I was thinking of taking 1-3 months off, and not buying anything new. Then, the New York Times published an article on taming the urge to buy. Some good motivation and ideas in this! Some people commit to only wearing six articles of clothing for an entire month (although, I don't really see the point of this) or not buying any clothes for a year (maybe a little much for me).

TV - Have you been watching Parks and Recreation? It has been cracking me up lately. And I do work for the government now, so I feel a little more loyal to the show. I happened to see the episode where the staff goes hunting. Hilarious. Seriously, watch it. Amy Poeler is so great in this clip.




More TV - How much do I love PBS? A lot. I even became a member! I'm really into all their mystery shows (most of them BBC) because they're interesting without being absurdly violent and disturbing (I'm talking to you, Law & Order SVU!) Plus they have America's Test Kitchen, Tavis Smiley, Antiques Roadshow, Newshour . . . I could go on. I saw an incredible documentary on Kenya called Good Fortune that talked about the challenges and complexities of outsiders trying to come in and provide aid.

A little more TV - Did anyone watch American, The Story of Us on the History Channel? I think I'll have to get it from Netflix. I took an American history class this spring at the community college, and I'd be interested to see how they put this series together.

Wedding stuff - Let me tell you, there are a million wedding blogs and website. Talk about overload! Some of them can really make you feel inadequate and lazy - but I've just stopped following those ones. A couple highlights: Wedding on Wheels!! and a truly lovely Scottish wedding (I don't know, maybe I just love mist, lace and plaid?).

Disguises - A downloadable disguise kit! I feel like you could make a fun photo booth at a party with this. Kind of like the one at a wedding Pete and I recently attended.


Have a fantastic weekend. Get some sun and fresh air! Read a book or magazine! Eat some fresh fruits and veggies! (That's the recipe for success, I tell you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment