9.19.2010

A Seven-Day Virus


Something just knocked me out for the count last Wednesday. Sore throat, fever, chills, body aches. I went to the doctor because I thought I had strep throat. No, not strep throat, she told me. Probably just the virus that's going around right now; it lasts seven days.

Oh, good, I don't have strep. Wait, WHAT!!?? SEVEN DAYS?? There's no way I'll be sick for that long, I'll just take it easy and feel better by the weekend.

WRONG.

I'm now on my seventh day - and while I'm still stuck at home, I'm no longer a prisoner to the couch. I can actually do some work, sit up and move around.

If you should happen to fall ill with one of the many bugs going around, here's what I recommend:

  • Catch up with your favorite shows online (for me: Top Chef, Project Runway, 30 Rock [Modern Family didn't come out until today])
  • Fresh flowers - They really lift the spirits when you still feel like absolute crap on Day 5 of the virus. (Thanks Pete!)
  • Fresh air - Even though I couldn't actually do anything, it felt good to sit outside or in front of an open window.
  • Antihistamines/Decongestants - They are your friend. They help you sleep. And, they also help prevent all the gross sludge congested in your head from coming out of your eye ducts . . . not that I'm saying that happened to me . . . . because that would be disgusting.
  • Stieg Larsson books - Seriously, it would have been a much more boring week without The Girl Who Played With Fire. I was so sad when it ended! At least I still have one more book to look forward to.
  • Liquids - Green & Lemon tea, Squirt & 7 Up, water and lots of soup (see below)
  • Whiskey - No, really. I don't like whiskey normally, but a tiny little amount in the evening felt really good on my sore throat.
  • Ice Cream - Pete and I found the perfect combination of coconut ice cream, mango sherbet and lychee sherbet (you can get them all at Uwajimaya)
  • And, of course, lots and lots of rest.
Simple Survival Soups

Lentil Soup
Saute 1 onion, 3-4 heads garlic, 2 carrots and 2 celery stalks in butter. Add about 1 1/2 cups diced potatoes, a bag of lentils, 2 boxes broth, salt, pepper, 2-3 bay leaves and any spices you like (parsley, oregano, etc.). Simmer for about 45 minutes. Add more broth or water if it looks like it needs it.

I basically doubled this recipe and have been eating it all week. Very filling and comforting. I usually add ham or a ham hock, but I couldn't find any at the market on the corner, and I wasn't up for going any farther to search for it.

Potato Leek Soup
Saute 4-6 chopped leeks, 2 cups diced potatoes in butter. Add salt and pepper, and 1 box of broth. Simmer for 20 minutes. (I added a little cream because had some in the fridge.)

Seriously, it's that easy. I had never made this kind of soup before, but it was delicious, and took almost zero time.

I recommend both of these soups with quick drop biscuits - I either use the recipe from Better Homes & Gardens or Joy of Cooking, or this time I just used Bisquick because we had some around.

Stay healthy everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the advice, good article, i am suffering with exact same illness and will take ur advice in. One note, no one gives a shit about whoever pete is.

    ReplyDelete