9.14.2010

Trippy Music

Since I shared my Queen obsession a couple weeks ago, I thought I'd post about a totally awesome, amazing band I heard at Bumbershoot. I didn't know anything about Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros before the concert, except that they sang the very catchy, fun "Home" song:


Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros "Home" from Edward Sharpe on Vimeo.

We had to wait for quite a while for the concert to start, so I learned about the band from the fans around me. For instance, the lead singer - Alex Ebert - is from LA, was addicted to drugs, went to rehab and then wrote a book about a modern-day messianic figure named Edward Sharpe. He fell in love with the female lead singer, and they went on to form The Magnetic Zeros. The group toured the country and lived together for a year in an old school bus.

The first thing you notice about this group in person is that there are A LOT of them! I think I counted 2 singers, 2 keyboardists, 1 piano player, 2 drummers and 4 guitar players. And the lead singer walks onto the stage looking like an honest-to-goodness modern Jesus. Barefoot, in a dirty, ripped suit and long brown hair. In short - this band is a trip! But, a really fun trip. I will definitely go see them again if they come back to Seattle and HIGHLY recommend them to anyone who has the chance to see them. Pete and I have been listening to their album for a couple weeks. Enjoy!

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros "Desert Song" from benjamin kutsko on Vimeo.



1 comment:

  1. Aren't they so much fun? And the crowd just feeds off of their energy. They played one of the small stages at Lolla this year and it was packed! He crowd surfed for a bit and sang from the crowd a couple of times too.

    ReplyDelete