4.19.2009

Book Lust

books



Trust me, I love books. But what happened this weekend at the Seattle Public Library Book Sale was closer to lust. I didn't make decisions based on logic, long term consequences or the ability to commit to a limited number of books. No, I got caught up in the heat of the moment, grabbing at books that had long been logged away as potential reading. And why not? Books are only ONE DOLLAR. And don't they look pretty all piled up?

The book sale is a lot of fun, and it benefits the public libraries here. It takes place in an old air force hangar. I couldn't even tell you how many books are in there. It's pretty crowded (and I was next to a couple people with the most incredible BO), so you have to be patient and allow plenty of time to move through the rows slowly. But the volunteers were wonderful, and an elderly man that helped me check out said he'd read most of the books I was buying! (Helpful hint: If you have books you're trying to get rid of, you can drop them off at any library branch and they'll use them for the book sale! Handy!)

So, I walked away with a backpack full of 19 books. I did have to bike home with all these, so I paid for my shopping spree in another way. Well, I guess I better stop blogging and start reading.

The Friends of the Seattle Public Libary Book Sale continues through 4 p.m. today at Magnuson Park, and takes place twice a year.

3 comments:

  1. I love library book sales! I think you will really enjoy Ruth Reichl's book. I also love The Namesake, Atonement, and Three Junes. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, also White Teeth and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime.

    Now, excuse me while I go read Discussion as a Way of Teaching: Tools and Techniques for Democratic Classrooms . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! I am jealous! However, I have about ten piles of books like that that I haven't gotten around to that I should probably start with before I get swept away by your influence of a book sale! :) I have read several of those in your pile. You are in for a brilliant journey of reading in the upcoming hours/days! :) Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete