4.26.2009

Grandma's Taco Salad

I was trying to figure out what to do with some ground turkey in my freezer. Then I remembered that I have some lettuce, tomatoes and dried kidney beans - and voila, I'm halfway to having what I need to make Grandma Gilliam's Taco Salad. This is my grandma on my dad's side - she grew up on a farm in North Dakota, moved to Seattle to work at Boeing during WWII and settled in the Yakima area. (That really has nothing to do with the salad, I just thought I'd provide a little background.)

This salad doesn't involve anything particularly innovative or interesting; it's just easy and healthy, and it tastes good! You could easily make it vegetarian by just leaving out the meat.

Grandma Gilliam's Taco Salad

Lettuce - whatever kind you prefer: green, read, iceberg
Ground beef or turkey
Taco seasoning
Kidney beans
Green onions
Grated cheese - cheddar, colby, pepper jack, whatever
Tomatoes
Olives
Fritos - you can try other brands, but I think Fritos rule!
Catalina dressing
Other ideas: avocado, sour cream, salsa

Cook the ground meat with taco seasoning. Mix all ingredients together in a salad bowl. Top with Fritos. Serve with dressing, salsa or whatever!

No comments:

Post a Comment