4.13.2009

Spring . . . in the Northwest

Snowshoeing in April

Snowshoeing in April



What does spring mean in the Northwest? Well, I guess it means I can fly a kite in the sun one weekend, and then go snowshoeing the next. Flowers are blooming, but we're still getting a lot of rain and the temperatures are all over the place. I'm ready for some sun! Some warmth!

After snowshoeing, we headed back to rainy Seattle for a Sounders game and Easter festivities.

We were able to get down on the field and watch the players warm up, which was super cool. The game was sold out, the crowd was electric and I had a blast watching them play. I'm definitely planning to head to more games this year.




Then, we made quiche and cut out sugar cookies for an Easter brunch. I'm hesitant to post my family's sugar cookie recipe. (Not that many people read this blog anyway :) ) It's from a woman in Iowa that my mom knew growing up. Her name was Cleoma and she was somewhat of a master baker. The cookies are called Cleoma's Blue Ribbon Butter Cookies, and I'll bet you money they're called that because they won the blue ribbon at the fair. It's kind of a family recipe.

Excellent rolling skills

Easter cookies

Oh well, it's my birthday, so I'm sending out the gift of a sugar cookie recipe (to the few people who read this)!

Blue Ribbon Butter Cookies
From: Cleoma Smith, Finchford, Iowa

1 c butter
3/4 c sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
3 c flour
1/2 t baking powder

Cream butter and sugar. Add all other ingredients. (I add 2 cups of flour, then add the last cup as I roll out the dough.) Mix well with electric mixer. Chill in refrigerator. Roll thin (very important!). Cut in desired shapes. Bake 5 minutes at 400 degrees. Watch carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment